Essex County Seal

Derieux-Scots Arms Tavern: The Harry Beverley plat of the Town of Tappahannock of 1706 shows on Lot 20 "Coleman's House" as already there at that time, which makes this the oldest house in Town. Robert Spillsbee Coleman's will of 1760 calls this building the "Scots Arm Tavern." An 1801 insurance policy shows this tavern to be "105 feet long, one story in height except for the 24 feet next to the river which is two stories." The present house is in this location, is two stories high with an English basement. It is now the private home of Miss Mary Derieux, whose family has owned and lived here for over 100 years.

[Click here to report a correction or new information for this web page]